Hebrew University Facts
23,500 students are enrolled at the University, including 11,700 undergraduates, 6,900 master's degree students, 2,700 doctoral candidates, and 2,200 at the Rothberg School for Overseas Students, and in certification and other programs.
The University community
1,200 tenured academic faculty, 1,500 full-time administrative and technical staff.
In Jerusalem - Mount Scopus Campus (Humanities and Social Sciences), Edmond J. Safra Campus (Exact Sciences), Ein Kerem Campus (Medical Sciences)
Rehovot Campus (Faculty for Agriculture, Food, Veterinary Medicine and Environmental Sciences)
Beit Dagan Campus (Veterinary Hospital)
Eilat Campus (Interuniversity Institute for Marine Sciences)
Jerusalem School of Business Administration, Hebrew University-Hadassah School of Dental Medicine Founded by the Alpha Omega Fraternity, School of Education, School of Engineering and Computer Science, Rothberg International School, School of Library, Archive and Information Studies, Hebrew University-Hadassah Medical School, Henrietta Szold-Hadassah-Hebrew University School of Nursing, School of Nutritional Sciences, Hadassah-Hebrew University School of Occupational Therapy, School of Pharmacy, Braun Hebrew University-Hadassah School of Public Health and Community Medicine, School of Public Policy, Paul S. Baerwald School of Social Work, and Koret School of Veterinary Medicine.
The University grants bachelors, masters and doctoral degrees. To date, the University has conferred over 120,000 academic degrees.
The Hebrew University is ranked internationally among the 100 leading universities in the world. Its student body numbers 23,000 students from Israel and 65 other countries. It is actively engaged in international cooperation for research and teaching. It has signed 150 agreements for joint projects with other universities and 25 agreements for student exchanges with 14 countries. Its faculty members include young scholars who have returned to Israel from advanced studies at leading institutions of higher education throughout the world.
The Hebrew University has been a leader in bringing about changes in the world community in agriculture, environmental quality and public health. Students from developing countries have carried out advanced studies at the Hebrew University and returned to their home countries in order to apply the knowledge they gained and to improve the level of services provided to their compatriots.
The university’s Rothberg International School offers programs for overseas students. Among its alumni are actress Natalie Portman, journalist Thomas Friedman, and former US ambassadors to Israel Martin Indyk and Daniel Kurtzer.
The Jewish National and University Library is the central library of the University as well as serving as the national library of the Jewish people and the State of Israel. Its collections of Hebraica and Judaica are the largest in the world. As the central and largest library of the Hebrew University, it is also the oldest section of the university. Founded in 1892 as a world center for the preservation of books relating to Jewish thought and culture, it assumed the additional functions of a general university library in 1920.
In addition to the JNUL, there are eleven subject-related libraries located on the various campuses:
- Avraham Harman Science Library, Givat Ram
- Mathematics and Computer Science Library, Givat Ram
- Earth Sciences Library, Givat Ram
- Library for Humanities and Social Sciences, Mt. Scopus
- Bernard G. Segal Law Library Center, Mt. Scopus
- Library of Archaeology, Mt. Scopus
- Moses Leavitt Library of Social Work, Mt. Scopus
- Zalman Aranne Central Education Library, Mt. Scopus
- Library of the Rothberg International School, Mt. Scopus
- Muriel and Philip I. Berman National Medical Library, Ein Kerem
- Central Library of Agricultural Science, Rehovot
- Roberta and Stanley Bogen Library of The Harry S. Truman Research Institute for the Advancement of Peace, Mt. Scopus
Subsidiaries and Associated Companies:
- Magnes Press
- University Botanical Garden of Jerusalem
- Magid Institute for Continuing and Adult Education
- Cosell Center for Physical Education, Sports and Health Promotion
- Veterinary Medical University Hospital in Bet Dagan
- Yissum Technology Transfer Company
- Bloomfield Science Museum
- Ex Libris Ltd.